SELF-STORAGE FOR DOWNSIZING
March 4th, 2021
So, you’re ready to downsize. What was once only popular with empty nesters and retirees, has become more common. More and more families are making a decision to live with less; stripping their surroundings of all the non-essentials. As they downsize, they’re left with this one important question: What to do with all the things that have accumulated through the years? Don’t sweat the small stuffKnowing how to downsize and declutter when the day finally arrives will make all the difference in the world. There are small steps that will help you get off to a smooth start when downsizing your home.
First thing’s first: Decide what to keep, and what to toss. Pace yourself and give yourself time to think. Don’t overlook the small stuff, but don’t sweat it either. Here are few things to consider when sorting through your home.
- Scan documents/digital records: Papers can be scanned by using professional services or do it on your own using a camera phone. Keep your files organized on your computer to have them on-hand in case you ever need them.
- Donating: Clothes and shoes make great donations even if they’re faded, missing buttons, or out of fashion. Consider donating or selling all your old, outdated, unused, or unwanted items.
- Selling: Tools, computers, televisions, and appliances are popular items for resale. If you’re willing to package and ship, then consider selling online. Here’s a list of sites worth looking into.
- Apple Trade-in
- Amazon Trade-in
- BestBuy Trade-in Program
- Facebook Marketplace
Finally, the big stuffThe upside to home downsizing is that you’re freeing up your space, ridding yourself of clutter, and bits of excess. You may need more time to decide what to transition into your new space, which is understandable, after all, it has taken years to accumulate all the beauty that surrounds you. You may be tempted to give-up and take it all with you. The answer to this dilemma is self-storage which allows you to do just that and, still have your dream space. Store your belongings as you’re transitioning knowing your things are stored safely then, sort them out later, at your convenience.
The advantage of using self-store when you downsize:
- Month-to-month leases
- Keep clutter out of your new space
- Keep everything safe, and secure
- Stay organized and clutter-free during your move
- Protect sensitive items such as fabric, leather or wood in climate-controlled units
As you downsize, take it day by day, start small, and get a storage-unit. It will make your transition smoother while you’re on the move allowing you to focus on what’s important; enjoying your new surroundings. To learn more about how self-storage can help you, visit mykeystorage.com.